A little while ago I was making a quiche and found I had no shortcrust pastry left. Rather than ducking out to the local shop and buying some I decided to make some. Searching through the recipie books I had I found a the following recipie (per Breville Inspirations book)
- 180g butter chopped
- 2 & 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- Extra Flour for kneading
Steps to make the pastry
- Using a beater, cream butter until soft.
- Add flour, baking power and salt. Gradually add lemon juice and egg youlk to form a slightly crumbled dough.
- Tourn dough onto a lightly flour dusted board and knead lightly to form a smooth ball.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes before using
Things to remember
After making this recipie there would be a few things I’d change for next time. The pastry is Very rich and hence I’d add the entire egg rather than just the yolk. Also the comment about refrigerating for 20mins depends on how cold the pastry is before it goes in the refrigerator. Don’t do what I did and refrigerate it all day until you make the quiche that night – the pastry will be rock hard and need microwaving before you can even make an indent in it!
Also remember to blind bake this pastry. (That is bake it for about 20minutes on 200 degrees Celcius) before filling it. If you don’t do this it might not be cooked before your filling is!
Donations keep this site alive